Wednesday, February 22, 2017

National Margarita Day

Drink Up


El Ranchero: photo by Cliff Hutson
El Ranchero: photo by Cliff Hutson

February 22 is National Margarita Day 2017 in the United States of America.

I am not one to say that Jose Cuervo is a friend of mine. My current tequila of choice is Hornitos Reposado. But, when you get right down to it, almost any tequila listed as "100% de agave" on the label is good in a margarita whether you like one en las rocas or congelada

Hornitos: photo by Cliff Hutson
Hornitos: photo by Cliff Hutson

Then, again, I am of the opinion that "rocks" is the the way to go. And, I seem to be in good company thinking that frozen is a distant second place. A frozen margarita just ruins the experience as far as I am concerned. Your mileage may vary. My research also noted that they can be served "straight up", but I have never seen that done.

Old Fashioned Margarita: photo by Cliff Hutson
Old Fashioned Margarita: photo by Cliff Hutson

A margarita is a cocktail consisting of triple sec, tequila and lime or lemon juice. There are many stories as to its origin. There are nearly as many opinions as to which type of glass in which to serve one. I am pretty much uncommitted when it comes to this. But, I lean toward the old fashioned glass, or even a mason jar, over the more traditional coupe variant.

Premium Tequila: photo by Cliff Hutson
Premium Tequila: photo by Cliff Hutson

Being born and bred in Southern California, I feel fortunate having encountered Mexican (or Mexican-American) food when I was just a tad; eating my first burrito about the age of five or six years old. My first encounter with tequila would have been in the late 60s. It took several more years before I discovered margaritas But, this was because they were not all that popular until then. I highly recommend Taco USAGustavo Arellano's history of how, and why, Mexican food has such great popularity in America; and the margarita may be its most favorite cocktail.

El Coyote: photo by Cliff Hutson
El Coyote: photo by Cliff Hutson


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments: