Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Southern Greens


Southern Greens: photo by Cliff Hutson
Southern Greens: photo by Cliff Hutson

I, along with many other Black Americans, have a fondness for greens. And, by "greens" we usually mean collards. But, almost no one will turn their nose at mustard greens nor turnip greens if they are in the pot.
However, it had been a long time since I had eaten any, as the restaurants out here just do not do that style of cooking; and for some some reason I had it fixed in my mind that traditional greens were too difficult for me to try at home. 
Then, perchance, while doing my weekly marketing I came upon a bag of mixed greens that were already washed and chopped. So, using a time saving recipe, I made them for the first time this past weekend. It came out pretty well as far as I am concerned - albeit next time I am going add some red pepper flakes. 

Southern Greens


Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/4 cup onion, diced
4 links Andouille chicken sausage, sliced
1 lb. mixed mustard greens, turnip greens, spinach, and collard greens
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook until translucent; add sausage cook until lightly browned.

Add greens, and sauté until wilted.

Add broth, cover with a lid, lower heat and simmer 20 - 35 minutes, depending on desired tenderness

Salt and pepper to taste; then serve (Tabasco sauce should be available). -  serves 4

Note:

If you have any interest in African American culinary history, I recommend reading "The Cooking Gene," by Michael W. Twitty

No comments: