Monday, April 26, 2021

National Pigs in a Blanket Day

 National Pigs in a Blanket Day - April 24 


Pigs in a Blanket: photo by Cliff Hutson
Pigs in a Blanket: photo by Cliff Hutson


What's in a name?


When I think of "pigs in a blanket" my first, and only, thought is of breakfast sausages wrapped in pancakes. This is one of my favorite breakfasts, which I like to douse in boysenberry syrup, as opposed to the usual maple.

However, it turns out that National Pigs in a Blanket Day is a holiday celebrating pork sausage (or hotdogs) baked in pastry.  It seems that many versions of this dish can be found through out the world, but is far from the top of my list of things to savor.

Clearly, that is just me. A quick search of the inter webs came up with almost no mention of the pancake version. Live and learn.




1 comment:

Sophie Carlson said...

I love cabbage rolls very much, but cabbage rolls are pork meat wrapped in cabbage leaves. And this meat is wrapped in pancakes ... Probably very tasty ...