Monday, July 19, 2021

As the World Warms

Hometown Highs


Another Warm Day photo by Cliff Hutson
Another Warm Day photo by Cliff Hutson

This past weekend, I came across a The New York Times article, that originally ran in 20218, on how most of us can expect to experience more "hot" days in the future than we had growing up. If you click through you find a tool that will show you how much hotter your hometown is than when you were born.


My Hometown 


The data does not go back to my birth year (I am a Boomer), but in 1960 the number of days temperatures  for the city I grew up in and lived much of my adult life reached 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius) or higher was 55.  That number in 2017 was 67 days on average.

We moved to where to where I now live in 1989.  The number of such days was 64 then and 79 in 2017. I am willing to bet that this year's heat wave, or whatever you want to call it, should exceed that count. 


Greener Grass?



Island Dream: photo by Cliff Hutson
Island Dream: photo by Cliff Hutson


Honolulu, HI can expect only one day over 90 degrees each year per the  tool, but an average 38 days annually according to Wikipedia. That seems nice, but, then I would have to worry about hurricanes. Not sure if that is a tradeoff I am eager to make.











No comments: