Monday, December 27, 2021

Infused Cocktail

Garden Gimlet



Garden Gimlet: photo by Cliff Hutson
Garden Gimlet: photo by Cliff Hutson


Crafting infused spirits can seem tricky, involving finding ingredients and the necessary tools. But, not for me thanks to my daughter who gave me an infusion kit from One Part Co..

My first foray was to make a floral (chamomile, lavender, orange zest, and licorice root) infusion of gin. Which I used to mix a Garden Gimlet cocktail. 

A quick search of the inter webs will turn up dozens, if not hundreds, of ways to make a Garden Gimlet. This is the recipe I used:

    Floral Infused Gin    2 parts
    Lime Juice                1 1/2 pt
    Agave Syrup             1/2 pt

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. 
Shake until cold. 
Strain into a glass.
Enjoy.

Nick and Nora Glass


I like to use a Nick and Nora glass, instead of the more common coupe.

The Nick and Nora glass has a rather interesting history. The glass is said to take its name from the main characters of The Thin Man, a 1934 comedy-mystery film. The main characters, Nick and Nora Charles, supposedly sip cocktails out of these glasses throughout the film, which popularized the style. ( I'll have to rewatch the film and see if I can bear this out.) There are several different designs. My glasses are made by Riedel

Moving On


The kit contains a few more multi-ingredient infusions that are supposed to pair well with gin.  But, it seems that they should go well with most spirits. I look forward to experimenting with them all.

No comments: