Monday, April 4, 2022

Cuban Food

Cuban cooking is a blend of African, Spanish, Taino, and other Caribbean cuisines. I do not have to travel to Havana, Miami, nor Tampa to get good Cuban food as there are places right here in Southern California where it is available, even my home.

Pastels de Carne




Meat pie: Puff pastry filled with picadillo (Cuban-style ground beef with onion, bell pepper, olive, and Spanish seasonings)


Empanadas de Pollo




Savory hand pie filled with Cuban-style chicken fricassee


Rollos de Queso




Cheese rolls: Puff pastry made with European style butter with cream cheese filling, topped with sugar.


¡Me comĂ­ esto!


I ate this! Also, I could honestly say that I baked these dishes. But, in the interest of full disclosure; Porto's,  a favorite bakery/cafe of mine, has come up with an online “bake at home” strategy. With a minimum two days notice, it will ship, unbaked, a subset of their full menu to me to arrive on the day of my choice, packed in dry ice.  I transfer it to my freezer, then all I have have I have to do for a meal is to take out the desired quantity and pop it in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes, and voilĂ . I still do the sides on my own.

Sadly, they do not offer my favorite thing for bake at home, but the items that do have are a welcome change of pace from cooking for myself.















No comments: