Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Pizza in the Foothill Cities

Pizzeria: photo by Cliff Hutson
Pizzeria: photo by Cliff Hutson

It should be patently obvious to even the most casual visitor to this blog that I am not one in much need of validation. But, I got a real kick out of the latest issue of Westways magazine which in its “Day Trip” article cited one of my favorite pizzerias  as a good place to eat in La Verne, CA

La Verne



The said restaurant is Warehouse Pizza. It is definitely worth a visit if you are out that way. As David Allen says, more eloquently than I, “ For its size, La Verne has a lot of homegrown pizza parlors (Red Devil, Sal’s, Pizza Barn, Pizza N Stuff and maybe one or two I’ve forgotten), with Warehouse perhaps the best, and certainly the most fondly regarded.”




I would never think of going to any of the others. If you try it, order the side salad with the house dressing, as well. A treat not to be missed. But, as good as this is, this is not where I usually end up when I go out for pizza. I, instead, head for Claremont.


Claremont



The “City of Trees and PhDs” also has a lot of pizza parlors. But, there is only one for me - Pizza ’n Such. If you look it up, you might also find it listed as “Pizza N Such” or “Pizza n’ Such”. It seems nobody can settle how it should be written, including the owners.



It once was a small eight table restaurant occupying a small section of the east side of the current building. The same owners expanded in 2002 to take up the entire downstairs. We ate a lot at the original spot and still enjoy the same delicious food; plus more menu items and many beers on tap. Allen and I are at odds on the best pizza in the Village, but he can’t always be right.



The careful observer might note from my accompanying photos that Mushrooms and Bell Peppers is my go to pizza. But, I have had others and they are all good.



One last great thing about Pizza N Such is that if you order a pizza for take out, you can get bottled beer to go. How is that for service?

SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments: