Wednesday, June 13, 2018

May 2018 Reading

One Book

May 2018 Reading: photo by Cliff Hutson
May 2018 Reading: photo by Cliff Hutson

This past month I only managed to finish reading one book. I might have lost my attention span much like the character in this xkcd comic coincidentally posted this week.

I came across this book on a visit to my local Barnes and Noble bookstore. C.J. Box is not one of my favorite authors, though I have read a fair number of his Joe Pickett series, but that was years ago. However, when I saw a hard cover edition for under seven dollars, I decided to give him another chance. It just reenforced my belief that  decision to drop him from my preferred list was a correct one. Still, I did read the whole thing. There is no other author who made the cut for May.

That purchase was part of my small campaign of trying to support brick and mortar businesses. Bookstores, new and used, were a big part of my life growing up, and into the 1990s when the small, local ones began to disappear because of the pressure for the big stores like Borders, and B&N.  These, too, have discontinued business, or are threatened with demise, respectively. It is good to see that Upstart Crow is still with us.

Several Magazines


I did read quite a lot of magazines, stacks of which had been building up for a while. These photographs represent a sampling of my selections:

The New Yorker: photo by Cliff Hutson
The New Yorker: photo by Cliff Hutson

Scientific American: photo by Cliff Hutso

Westways: photo by Cliff Hutson
Westways: photo by Cliff Hutson

Dwell: photo by Cliff Hutson
Dwell: photo by Cliff Hutson



No comments: