Thursday, December 31, 2020

¡Adios 2020!

"Kiss today goodbye

And point me toward tomorrow"

- Marvin Hamlisch


Farewell to 2020


December 2020: photo by Cliff Hutson
December 2020: photo by Cliff Hutson

This morning I read that when the ants of the species Myrmecina graminicola encounter danger while on a slope, they tuck into a ball and roll away, the only ants known to move in this way. I think that many of us wish that we could have rolled away from this year, rather than just curling up on the couch while subject to a "safer-at-home" order.

Today, we are counting down the hours to the end of the worst year in the lives of many Americans, if not the world. I have been very fortunate. All my family and friends have been safe and well so far. Sadly, one friend did lose a parent to the pandemic. Others have had family who were ill but recovered. 

Also, I am used to living quietly alone, so that has not been a real problem. But, I do miss feeling that I can come and go as I please, occasionally dining out with others, and visits to concerts, museums, and the like.

Hopefully, at some point in the coming year we all can resume some of these activities.

Looking toward 2021

2021 is probably not going to be great. At least most of us realize that going in. The virus is still going to be around and the worst my still be ahead of us.  But, I like to think that we may be able to turn a corner and regain some sense of "normality" before it is over.

So, my wish for you is for the best New Year that it can be. Stay safe and be well.

No comments: