Tuesday, December 29, 2020

I Drink Tequila

 There Stands the Glass


Tequila Mockingbird: photo by Cliff Hutson
Tequila Mockingbird: photo by Cliff Hutson

I have drank tequila for over fifty years. He estado borracho en Nuevo México, así como en East Hollywood y en muchos lugares intermedios. And, if push comes to shove, I would probably say that the Margarita is my favorite cocktail


Margarita: photo by Cliff Hutson
Margarita: photo by Cliff Hutson


Of course, it can be enjoyed straight as well. So, some might be asking, "just what is this versatile libration?"

Tequila

Silver Tequila: photo by Cliff Hutson
Silver Tequila: photo by Cliff Hutson

Tequila is a distilled spirit made from the blue agave plant, and it only comes from Mexico. To be called Tequila, by law, it must come from one of five Mexican states: Jalisco (where you find the town of Tequila), Guanajuato, Nayarit, Michoacán or Tamaulipas. It comes in different styles, categorized according to how long the spirit was aged. 

Hornitos Reposado: photo by Cliff Hutson
Hornitos Reposado: photo by Cliff Hutson


I tend to stick to two styles. Blanco (white) or plata (silver) which are unaged and bottled or stored immediately after distillation, or aged less than two months in stainless steel or neutral oak barrels. And, Reposado aged a minimum of two months, but less than a year in oak barrels of any size.

Tequila Sauza: photo by Cliff Hutson
Tequila Sauza: photo by Cliff Hutson

However, I will sometimes step up to Añejo which is aged a minimum of one year, but less than three years in small oak barrels.

Brand Loyalty


Espolòn Tequila: photo by Cliff Hutson
Espolòn Tequila: photo by Cliff Hutson

When it comes to brand loyalty I really have none.  While he is loved by many, Jose Cuervo was never a friend of mine. The past few years I have tended to buy Hornitos, not so much that I think that it is really great but, that it tastes good, has a reasonable price point, and is readily available at Trader Joe's.   A couple of months ago I started picking up Espolón. I like it, but am not wild about it.  But, tonight I have been sipping  El Exotico for the first time and enjoyed it. This is a really good Reposado. Is this the best Reposado I’ve ever had? No, but it’s damn good and the price can't be beat.

Tequila Exotico Reposado: photo by Cliff Hutson
Tequila Exotico Reposado: photo by Cliff Hutson

The Future


So, the astute reader might gather from my preceding comments that when it comes to drinking that cost is a consideration to me. That is true. My palate is not so sophisticated that that I feel that I should spend a lot of money on alcohol or wine. But, if I ever come across it I will buy a bottle of Rey Sol Anejo just to see if I can experience the difference. 








No comments: