Monday, July 11, 2022

Give Me a Sign

Thrifty Ice Cream Plant


Thrifty Ice Cream Plant: photo by Cliff Hutson
Thrifty Ice Cream Plant: photo by Cliff Hutson


The muse is not with me this week, so I am just going to post what is perhaps my best photograph of a sign. It was taken in El Monte, California, in December 2004.

Thrifty ice cream, especially Rocky Road, was one of my favorites; notably in my college days when money tight and I needed a treat. Even though Thrifty Drug stores are no longer a thing, I understand the the ice cream is still being made at the same plant. I might have to track some down to see if I still like it.


Mixed Messages


Mixed Message: photo by Cliff Hutson
Mixed Message: photo by Cliff Hutson


The lede said that I was going to post a photo of a sign, then this one also came to mind.  I do not think that it is as visually strong, but I really get a chuckle out of the juxtaposition of the two messages.

A municipal worker seems to have had a wry sense of humor when they hung that banner on the same lamp post as this sign in the Claremont Village.

















No comments: