Monday, July 25, 2022

The Schindler House Centennial

 A modern home 


Back Yard: photo by Cliff Hutson
Back Yard: photo by Cliff Hutson


Rudolph Michael Schindler's Kings Road house is an icon of early modern architecture. He stated that it " . . . fulfills the basic requirements for a camper's shelter: a protected back, an open front, a fireplace, and a roof." Constructed of 4' x 8' concrete slabs, redwood, glass, and canvas it has an intimate relationship between the shelter and surrounding outdoor spaces. The author Kathryn Smith has said that it was the first modern house.


Intimate View: photo by Cliff Hutson
Intimate View: photo by Cliff Hutson



This recent article in "The New Yorker" celebrating the centennial of the house brought back memories of the visit  that my wife and I made in August 2005. I posted a short photo essay at the time.


A Common Area: photo by Cliff Hutson
A Common Area: photo by Cliff Hutson


That was the beginning of my interest in Schindler - some readers might recall that I have previously mentioned him in this blog. I must admit that I am somewhat proud that even then my eye picked out many of the features other writers mention. Or, may be I just have a keen sense of the obvious. 


Bamboo Grove: photo by Cliff Hutson
Bamboo Grove: photo by Cliff Hutson


Centennial Events


Events surrounding the centennial began back in May, but some are still scheduled and an exhibition runs though September 25, 2022.







No comments: