Monday, August 1, 2022

National Sandwich Month

 A Month of Sandwiches


Langer's #19: photo by Cliff Hutson
Langer's #19: photo by Cliff Hutson


National Sandwich Month is observed each year in August.  It can be a good excuse to to go exploring for something new and different, or to fall back on an old favorite. And, they can be be found for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a quick, nutritious, and tasty meal.

What is a Sandwich?


Bologna & Cheese. Sandwich: photo by Cliff Hutson
Bologna & Cheese. Sandwich: photo by Cliff Hutson


A sandwich is typically thought of as two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between. However, many are willing to broaden the definition as illustrated in this Sandwich Alignment Chart.


Wet Chile Verde Burrito: photo by Cliff Hutson
Wet Chile Verde Burrito: photo by Cliff Hutson


Thus one could say that a burrito is a sandwich. I tend not to agree with this. This is especially true when I think of a "wet burrito" that has to be eaten with a knife and fork. It is my opinion, though I may be wrong, that a sandwich should be handholdable. (Yes, I do know that many burritos, hot dogs, and their kin can be handheld.)


Cheeseburger in Paradise: photo by Cliff Hutson
Cheeseburger in Paradise: photo by Cliff Hutson


But, Wikipedia informs us that in Britain, the British Sandwich Association defines a sandwich as "any form of bread with a filling, generally assembled cold". This definition would include wraps, but clearly exclude burgers.


Tony's Famous French Dip: photo by Cliff Hutson
Tony's Famous French Dip: photo by Cliff Hutson


Then again, I strongly consider that hot pastrami makes a wonderful sandwich. And, tonight's dinner will probably be a ham and cheese melt. So, at bottom, if you want to call your meal a sandwich I am in no position to argue. 

My Favorite Sandwich


Tuna & Avocado Sandwich: photo by Cliff Hutson
Tuna & Avocado Sandwich: photo by Cliff Hutson


Oddly enough, when I combed through my image files I found that I do not have one of my favorite sandwich. That would be the BLT. So, above we have my second favorite - tuna. I make and/or eat these in many configurations. But, as I write this on July 31st I should get extra credit for this photo as it is National Avocado Day.










No comments: