Monday, August 14, 2023

World Lizard Day

World Lizard Day is celebrated on August 14 every year:


Outside My Front Door: photo by Cliff Hutson
Outside My Front Door: photo by Cliff Hutson


This day celebrates the diverse and often misunderstood world of lizards, and raises awareness for conservation efforts for the reptiles.

The name "lizard" doesn't correspond to a single scientific group. Lizards belong to the order Squamata, which they share with snakes. There are several subgroups within Squamata that are commonly called lizards, including geckos, iguanas, worm lizards and Autarchoglossa, according to the Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS), a partnership of North American agencies, organizations and taxonomists that provides taxonomic information. All lizards are sometimes grouped under the suborders Lacertilia or Sauria, but ITIS doesn't consider these to be valid scientific groups. 

While I like to think of myself as somewhat of a naturalist, I more into plants than animals and must admit that I have not make the effort to identify any of the lizards that show up in my yard or on my patio - including the little one (see above) that was hanging out on my front screen door. 

Nor do I give them names. And, it seem that a lizard, with a name, which I looked forward to seeing on a weekly basis was not at all real.






 

No comments: