Monday, January 10, 2022

Looking Back: At the Movies (2021)


Mini on Sofa: photo by Cliff Hutson
Mini on Sofa: photo by Cliff Hutson


No so many: 

My cat and I watched 59 movies, via streaming and DVD, in 2021. This was far fewer than the year before. As a trained statistician, I know that one should not construe causation from correlation however I can not help but think that the wearing effect of the pandemic has an impact on the type of media I wish to consume. I seem to have switched from film, which requires some commitment and perhaps thought, to television. More about that at another post.

Movies Watched in 2021

  1. Hell or High Water
  2. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  3. Congo
  4. The Maltese Falcon
  5. Blood Diamond
  6. Santa  Fe Trail (1940)
  7. They Died With Their Boots On
  8. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian 
  9. Poseidon Rex
  10. Custer of the West
  11. Little Big Man
  12. One Night in Miami
  13. Tremors 
  14. Croc
  15. The Dinosaur Project
  16. Barton Fink
  17. King Kong (1976)
  18. Groundhog Day
  19. Relic
  20. The Big Lebowski
  21. No Country For Old Men 
  22. A Serious Man
  23. Indianan Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
  24. The Milagro Beanfield War
  25. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 
  26. Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
  27. Double Indemnity (1944)
  28. Sunset Boulevard 
  29. The Apartment
  30. Jaws
  31. Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears
  32. Ten Little Indians (1989)
  33. Mad Max
  34. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
  35. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
  36. Lake Placid: The Final Chapter
  37. Monster from the Ocean Floor (1954)
  38. 2001: A Space Odyssey 
  39. Universe 
  40. Ghostbusters (2016)
  41. Joe Kidd
  42. Ghostbusters (1984)
  43. The Matrix
  44. Frankenfish 
  45. Sucker Punch (2011)
  46. Dark Alibi
  47. Alien
  48. Arrival
  49. The Legend of Zorro
  50. Blade Runner 2049
  51. Outlander
  52. Painted Desert
  53. The Fog
  54. Deepstar Six
  55. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
  56. The Tomorrow War
  57. The Marksman 
  58. Finch
  59. Runaway Train (1985)
The list runs heavily to Westerns, which may be my favorite genre, followed by film noir, and science fiction


The Good

There were more than a few good films this year. Among them are classics such as Double Indemnity (1944) and Sunset Boulevard, both noir, which I watched as part of a film group organized by the Skirball Cultural Center which focused on the films of Billy Wilder. The year's best Western was Hell or High Water. The film group also devoted time to science fiction. My favorite among those films was Blade Runner, which seriously borrows from film noir. I feel that I would be remiss if I did not mention the movie Finch. While it seems that many do not like it, I feel that it did what it was intended to do - (spoiler alert) make me cry. And, I enjoyed watching the "personal growth" of the robot, Jeff.

The Bad

Oddly enough, I find it somewhat difficult to pick one from this list that is just merely bad. But, I have to do so in order to keep with my trope. Therefore, I am going to nominate Croc.

The Ugly

The winner (?) in this category is clearly Lake Placid: The Final Chapter.  By the way, I enjoyed the first "Lake Placid" whose cast included the late, great Betty White.

That's a wrap movie wise for 2021. I wonder what the coming year holds for me. Will I see more or less? I have watched just one so far.

No comments: