Monday, January 31, 2022

Time, Part 1

 Does anybody know what time is?



Alarm Clock: photo by Cliff Hutson
Alarm Clock: photo by Cliff Hutson


Time has resurfaced as a fascinating subject to me. Perhaps because I have so much of it on my hands.  Someone, not Stephen Hawking, once said that; "Time is what keeps one damn thing after another from being every damn thing all at once".  Physicists might define time as the progression of events from the past to the present into the future. Time, thus, gives us the feeling of progress


Does anybody really know what time it is?



Shinola Runwell Watch: photo by Cliff Hutson
Shinola Runwell Watch: photo by Cliff Hutson


Readers of a certain age will recognize that this heading is stolen from the song "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" by the band Chicago. (Which I am surprised does not rank at the top of everybody's list.)

The song, released in 1969, has the line - "A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was on my watch".  These days it seems that the need for watches is very much on the decline. After all, most people have a mobile photo that will give the time simply by picking it up. But, some of us still turn to watches - more about that at a later date.  Tempus fugit and I will miss my deadline if I don't post this now.

No comments: