Monday, July 15, 2024

My Shinola

 Does anybody really need a Rolex?



Shinola Runwell: photo by Cliff Hutson
Shinola Runwell: photo by Cliff Hutson


Once again I was hunched over my table struggling with the, admittedly, increasingly arbitrary deadline for this blog. [Really, who would notice if I missed publishing on a Monday: or even skipped a week altogether?] But, then I fortuitously ran across a photograph of former President Obama wearing the same watch that I had purchase back in 2017.  It is a Shinola 41 mm Runwell Sub Second. So, that makes two things that we have in common.

Clearly, he is a person that can afford, or has already been gifted, any watch that he wanted. Yet, he chose this “affordable” one. My grandson, who follows these things, says that Obama also has a Rolex. But, the GQ story got me to thinking, does anybody really need a Rolex? Apparently, I am not the only one who has had this thought.


Note:


Readers of my generation might recognize that the title of this post is a play on the title of a well known song.



No comments: