Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Shoe Designer

“Hey, I put some new shoes on
And suddenly everything is right”
 - Songwriters: Jim Duguid / Mathew William Benbrook / Matt Benbrook / Paolo Giovanni Nutini

New Shoes


"Outdoor Chill" Laces: photo by Cliff Hutson
"Outdoor Chill" Laces: photo by Cliff Hutson

Who amongst us does not enjoy a pair of new shoes?  I know that I do and I recently got to design them as well, basically from scratch. 

Chuck Taylor All-Stars


Inner Body: photo by Cliff Hutson
Inner Body: photo by Cliff Hutson

Chuck Taylor All-Stars were one of the most iconic shoes of my youth. Times were simpler then, so we had a choice of two - black or white; as I recall. However, as with most other things, that palette has significantly expanded.  Now, I even have a pair with wool uppers in black and white plaid that Converse created in a partnership with Woolrich.   

Feeling the need for another pair of shoes to wear at work, I was going to buy a plain classic model when I discovered that one could actually create a customized version of their very own. Thus I was launched into the world of shoe design.

Blank Canvas


Blank Canvas: photo by Cliff Hutson
Blank Canvas: photo by Cliff Hutson

The driving force behind my design is that my go to work "uniform"is a green shirt, and that I wear a walnut colored Stetson in cool weather. Rightly or wrongly, I decided that it would be fun to have the shoes reflect this. 

Outer Body: photo by Cliff Hutson
Outer Body: photo by Cliff Hutson

Thus the outer body is green and the inner body is brown.

Both Sides Now: photo by Cliff Hutson
Both Sides Now: photo by Cliff Hutson

Was very conservative with the remaining twelve (12!) options, leaning to what I felt was traditional. That is except for the laces.

Finished Product


New Shoes: photo by Cliff Hutson
New Shoes: photo by Cliff Hutson

The laces are described as "Outdoor Chill". When I saw that name I just kind of automatically clicked on that choice. They are wilder than I thought they would be; and I am not sure where the "chill" enters in to it. However, they, of course, can be easily switched out if I grow tired of them.

Other than that I am very pleased with my creation.




No comments: