Monday, March 27, 2023

Reading Log: February 2023

The books that I finished reading in the month of February 2023



February 2023 Books: photo by Cliff Hutson
February 2023 Books: photo by Cliff Hutson


"Gaia," James Lovelock

"The Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us," Dr. Lucy Jones

"The Afrominimalist's Guide to Living with Less,' Christine Platt

"The Forgotten Man." Robert Crais


Cliff's Notes:


"Gaia"

This book proposes that the earth is a living, self regulating organism. I firmly believe that this is a worthy hypothesis that bears investigation. I also feel that that Lovelock, the progenitor of the theory, seems to be one of the most ill-equipped scientists to argue in its favor. 

My concern arises from his beliefs that pollution is not a a major concern, Big Oil would not lie to us about the effects of burning fossil fuels, and that non-industrial countries present a bigger threat to the environment than Europe or America. 

All in all, I do not recommend this book.


"The Big Ones"    

A very cool book about natural disasters, of all stripes, and how they have shaped history and (perhaps) the human psyche. 

By waiting so long to write this review I have the benefit of seeing how the current flooding in California is evocative of what occurred in 1861-62; a history of which most Californians are unaware

One lesson more of us should take to heart: "Love, thank, and cherish your loved ones every day of your ... ."


"Living with Less"


One of the things that I have trying to accomplish, with little success, over the past few years is paring down my possessions so that I can move to a much smaller home. Having stalled out in this endeavor I was hoping that this book might give me a jump start. It was not much of a help. But, that may just be me.

The author puts a lot of emphasis on discovering one's authentic self. It seems that my authentic self is someone who is mildly depressed and sits around the house wearing sweatpants.


"Forgotten"


Another fun read in the bestselling series of Elvis Cole and Joe Pike stories. 







No comments: